Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Here is the tag that all have been doing, and I'll play along...

From November 2003


Where did you meet?

We met in High school at Kearns High in SLC. I knew of his sister in eighth grade. We were in the same "group" in school although on different peripheries of it. I knew she had an older brother, but he didn't come onto my radar until I was a sophomore and he was playing Conrad Birdie in the School Musical. I think he didn't know who I was until the end of that year when I didn't have anybody to hang out with at Choir tour, so I hung around with his friends (who were also friends of mine in debate).

What was the first thought that went through your head when you met?

"Oh my goodness. He is just the most exotic-looking gorgeous boy I have ever seen" I always swooned when I was around him. :-) When he asked me on our first date it was even worse.

Do you remember what he was wearing?

I don't remember if he was wearing his costume for the role of Conrad or not, but I seem to remember that he was. He was "rehearsing" before the show in front of the Concert Choir anbd he sang that song that has the words "some girls are ripe for some kissing..." he was swinging his hips like Elvis and and all the girls were screaming at him. I knew at that moment that although he was amazing, I would never be in his league. He had dates all the time and was always hanging around cute girls. Imagine my total amazement when we became friends and then when we started dating.

Where did you go for your first date?

He asked me out first to a SPEBSQSA concert in preparation for his newly-forming quartet. But it was about two weeks away. I ended up asking him out second, but our date was first. It was a concert at Abravanel of a new-age musician that I really enjoyed at the time (okay, okay, I admit it, I like new-age!) Hehe, my parents also had tickets. So our first date was adouble with my parents. How's that for dorky beginnings? ;-)

Where was the first time you kissed this person?


I think I've answered this in a previous tag...on his front doorstep with his little brother egging us on behind the door. The kiss after the mission was way better. :-)


When was the first time you realized that you liked this person?

As soon as I knew him. Once we got to know each other, I realized that he was amazing in other things besides his looks. I always hoped that someday we would really end up together but I realized the unlikelihood of that happening to people from high school. Even after we started dating, I was so afraid that we would screw it up and I would never see him again. He and I are both introverts, so the early days of our dating were rather awkward for both of us. I didn't really have a solid relationship with him in till the mission. We became best friends through those weekly letters.

How long did you know this person before you became a couple?

About a year from the time we were both aware of each other to when we were a "couple". Considering that I was only 15 when we met, that's a good thing. :-)


How did this person propose to you?

I had agreed to go back to Jackson before we were exclusively dating after the mish and I asked him if he wanted me to go or should I pull out of it. He said to go. It would only be one summer, right? In fact, I was only going to stay for a month until the Hatchet sold to the new owner. He said it would be a great time to write mushy letters to each other. Well, I think I got two or three letters. I used a *lot* of phone cards that summer. One week our talking got really forced and awkward as we tried to make plans for the next year without actually saying "marriage". Finally, he said "I've been beating around a bush a lot and I hope you know which bush I'm beating around." that kind of let off the tension and he said that he wanted us to start talking about getting married. I hated the idea of a long engagement, so I said, "when?" He came up about two weeks later, after having asked my parents for permission, and gave me my ring. No knee, no proposal, nothing. To hear him tell the story, I proposed to him. I think it was him that did the actual asking, just not in so many words. We've improved our communication since then. ;-)

Do you and this person have kids together?

We had a baby boy, Evan, in March of 1999. He was stillborn. We also have 4 other children. One boy and 3 girls. They are all beautiful.



Have you ever broken the law with this person?

I'm sure we have, I just can't remember it now. I mean we've been together for an awful long time. I'm sure it would mostly just be traffic stuff... ;-)

Do you trust this person?

I do. Trust is a big deal and occasionally goes in and out. But I trust him with my heart and with my family.


Do you see him as your partner in your future?

Of course, and partner is a good word as I don't see him as just my spouse, but my partner in everything.

What is the best gift he gave you?

While we were dating, he had gone with me to my Grandparents home. My grandma is short and she has footstools all over the place. I made some offhand comment that I would also have footstools everywhere and for my birthday he made me a footstool. He made the stool from wood that he cut out and then he did a needlework design that was in my favorite colors with a saying that was dear to my heart and subsequently inscribed in my wedding band. It was for my 17th birthday. I still have it, it's been put away as I have littles who get things dirty and until I master cleaning needlepoint, I don't want to leave it a target for too much destruction. He is great with things like that. Gifts that are well thought out and tender.

What is one thing he does that gets on your nerves?

I would get really upset when we were first married th t he would leave the cupboard doors open. I kept trying to change his behavior. That was when I learned. I married a person. I don't want to change him and he didn't marry me to be changed. I close the cupboard doors now. :-)


Where do you see each other 15 years from now?

We hope to be in a hobby farm by then with no debts and on our way to being off the grid. :-)

What causes the most arguments?

Nan said the same thing that happens in our home. I cause arguments. He doesn't argue. If I lose my cool, he maintains a calm demeanor throughout the conversation. We're learning ways to have deep conversations about things that matter to us rather than harboring grudges about things that don't meet either of our needs.

How long have you been together?

We started dating in April 1995 and were married in Sep 1998. So that's 13 years together and we just celebrated our ten year wedding anniversary.

Who Do you Tag?

Ooh, Sapps, Cousin Andrea, and whoever else hasn't done this yet...

9 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

How fun. I love your story. I wish I'd known you back in the day--your group of friends sounds just like mine. In fact, ever since I met you, you have reminded me almost exactly of a good friend from those days. (She probably IS off the grid by this time. In Alaska, I think.) And I love the musical "Bye, Bye Birdie." How do you not swoon over Conrad? You really took home the prize, Karin. I'm glad you are still posting (and reading) even if it isn't regular.

Doreen said...

Hey, look who blogged! :o) I still have that tag looming over my head. I'm so bad at tags... One of these days, I'll get around to it. Maybe on my 10th anniversary... :p

You do have an awesome husband, and a wonderful family. I miss you all dearly. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Unknown said...

Just what I need to be motivated to post! It was so fun to read your stories. You guys are both wonderful and raising terrific kids and I miss you! Hope you had a great Christmas!
Lajuana

Tola said...

so who was the new-age musician? miss you, Happy New Year.

Karin said...

Hey Tola! It was David Arkenstone. My favorite label was Narada and that was his label. Narada now has restructured their sublabels and I haven't figured it out yet, so I'm not finding any new artists that I like. I follow a few local artists now. :-)

Sylwia said...

wow, that was really interesting to read. i didnt know about your "history" with jared.

i'm also surprised to read how different jared is from josh. in some ways they seem so alike but when i read what you wrote they seem very different. i don't think josh was ever popular or had lots of dates lined up when he was young, and he also doesn't make sentimental gifts. it's good because i wouldn't appreciate them anyway. josh said he very strongly did not want to have anyone to write to on his mission.

we had a 9 months long engagement and we didnt kiss till over the alter in the temple.

who in the world was the little brother that was encouraging you guys to kiss on the doorstep???? i cant picture anyone in jared's family doing that!!

Dirtius Wifius said...

Sylwia - you can't picture anyone doing that? Did you know that both Josh and Jared used to egg everyone on? They would yell "loverboy!" in the background whenever I got a call from a boy. So embarrassing!

Those two little brothers of mine (well, all 4, heck) are seriously my heroes. I'm sooooooo happy they have found women who truly appreciate them. :)

Michelle said...

I know you posted this back in December, but oh well. Stewart did the same things with the cupboard doors when we were married and it bugged the crap out of me! I would always close them, but he doesn't do it anymore. Maybe he decided it bugged him too. *shrug*

Salix said...

I love the irony that your goal is to be off the grid and you keep a blog. Heehee! It was so lovely to read this story and remember it all. How can it be 15 years since you guys met when it seems like yesterday? And when did we get old enough to say things like "15 years ago"? ;)