Saturday, April 5, 2008

hee hee, a tag....

So I read this spouse tag put up by an old neighbor and I thought, how cheesy...

Little did I know that only two short weeks later, I would be tagged with it from a totally different circle of acquaintances. So Andrea, here it is... :-)


How did you meet your spouse? It's even cheesier than playing spouse tag. We met in high school. I was fifteen and he was seventeen. I first noticed him when he was chosen to play Conrad Birdie in "Bye Bye Birdie". He was the older brother of someone who was in my larger circle of friends. We actually started getting to know each other when we went to choir tour my sophomore year. His friends let me hang out with them (he was one of those who only hung out with girls). We didn't start dating until the next spring, really. The end of my junior year.

Where did you go on your first date? We went to a SPEBSQSA concert. It was supposed to be "research" for a quartet that Jared was putting together and everyone had dates except for the lead. The funny part was that he didn't realize he was the only one without a date and when we all sat down, he sat in between Jared and me. When I casually mentioned that we were on a date at the intermission, he felt really embarrassed and switched us places so I could sit next to Jared. I thought it was hilarious.

How long have you been together? We generally count when we "hooked up" at choir tour to be the start of our "togetherness" (I know, how cheesy can you get?) so we've been together since Spring of '95. That would be 13 years! Aack! Am I really that old?

Who eats more? Jared. He also eats faster, which amazed me when we first started dating as I had always previously been the first one done eating at social engagements. Although, if you count lactating, I certainly eat more than your average large male. :-)

Who said I love you first? I don't remember if we said it at all before the mission. I don't think so. If that's the case, then I said it first. It wasn't nearly as awkward as I was fearing it would be. It also wasn't a phrase that either one of us used often before engagement.

Who sings better?
Well, considering we got to know each other in Madrigals, I'm not sure that's a fair question. I've had more training, but that doesn't mean I have more talent. He's the one that's still singing in the community.

Who is smarter? Jared. Whenever I want to know something, I just ask him. It wasn't until we had been married a couple of years that I realized that when he didn't know the answer to a question I had asked, he just made it up, deadpan. Now, he just tells me he doesn't know...usually. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a dunce. I can hold my own in a philosophical conversation, I just don't retain info like he can.

Who does the laundry? Are you kidding! That's why we had kids...

Who does the dishes? Jared. Unless we have a nanny-which we do right now. Very early in the division of labor you call a honeymoon, we discovered that he hates the ookiness of toilets and I hate the monotony of dishes. Those are two chores that have always been defined. I do the toilets and he does the dishes.

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Jared always has until Belen came into bed with us after her trach came out. The "kid" bed is on "my" side (the left) and I just couldn't sleep always checking for her breathing. It was emotionally exhausting spending all day and all night with her, so Jared graciously accepted a switch. Temporarily. Now that the new one is coming and Belen sleeps with her sibs, I'm ready to switch back.

Who pays the bills? I always did that as well, until Belen had been home for a few months. Jared saw how much it was stressing me out and he took over. I have never felt so free. I am a control freak and I didn't think I could ever relinquish control of the money, but it feels so good. I just ask him how much I have and I spend away! I think I'm also better about impulse buys this way. Before, I would just buy it anyway and then feel guilty about it and now I don't have to.

Who mows the lawn?
Jared does, usually. I'm allergic to grass. But last year, when he was so busy with school, I would sometimes help him out. Not enough to make anyone believe that I did it regularly, but occasionally.

Who cooks dinner? Mostly Jared (are you starting to see a pattern here? I have an amazing husband). When we were first married, I didn't know how to cook. Now that I'm a little better, I don't cook while I'm pregnant or the first few months of a new baby. I justify it by saying to myself that Jared likes to cook and he likes to work with his hands, so it's okay. I keep hoping that someday, I'll have an amazing change of heart and actually love to cook.

Who drives when you are together? Jared. He gets carsick really easy and I don't really like to drive. In fact, driving on the constructionized freeway has turned into one of my triggers for panic attacks. I know I'll need to deal with it eventually. For now though, I'll just leave it up to him or public transportation.

Who is more stubborn? I know I'm a princess and often push too hard to get my way. I hope it's gotten at least slightly better over the years.

Who is the first to admit when they’re wrong? I'm not sure about that one. Both of us are pretty quick to say "I'm sorry".

Whose parents do you see the most? Mine, they live closer and we have the first grandchildren on that side.

Who kissed who first? heehee. Jared kissed me after a date and it was the funniest kiss. I could see his brother watching us through the window. Incidentally, it was his FIRST KISS EVER. He said, it had never come up with other girls. The first kiss after the mission was the most smashing first kiss I have ever experienced!

Who proposed?
That, I suppose, is up for debate. I'm convinced it was him. He keeps telling everyone it was me. He officially never really asked. Anyway, funny story, you decide who is telling the truth ;-)

Who has more friends? I do. Jared thinks it's my responsibility to keep "our" social life going...

Who has more siblings? Jared has way more. I come from 5 and Jared has 8 siblings.

Who wears the pants in the family?
What does that mean, really? Who's in charge? If that's the case, we each have different areas that we are responsible for. I don't think that one of us is really "in charge". Of course, if you ask Jared, he'll give the standard "I wear the pants, because Karin lets me..."

Well, since this one is kind of weird, I'll let those that like these questions to pick up the tag. How about it, Nicole? Doreen? Does anyone else even read my blog?

8 comments:

chicagosapps said...

This was fun to read, it made me feel back at the villa talking about our wonderful husbands. I don't think it's cheesy at all. But then again, I'm pretty cheesy myself.

I'm glad you got to be with Doreen, I'm sure it was an amazing experience. You and D. have had such a great influence on me and other women, showing us true strength and courage.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing along! You're such a good sport (unlike certain sisters-in-law of mine who will remain nameless.

So, now I need to hear the proposal story...

Erin said...

I agree with chicagosapps! It felt like we were outside watching the kids play while we were visiting! Oh, it was nice to leave that stage of my life but I do miss my mommy friends from the Villa ;).

Amy said...

I love listening to you talk about your life stories. When we drove down to the Usbourne book party at Erin's families house, I was so intrigued with your life. I'm sorry about the bad news about Bellen. I would love to get together and talk. Please email me, accaduffy@hotmail.com.
Amy Duffy

Mama bee said...

Hey Karin, just wanted to let you know that I'm another lurker on your blog. If I get bored (or am trying really hard to not work on my thesis), I may take on this tag. But probably not. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know I'm here too. :-)
~Kristal (yes, Cora's mom in LLL)

Nick Bennett said...

Very cute answers, Karin. Of course, in a family like ours, I suspect many respondents' answers would be "different but the same" - until you get to Jen and I, when they kinda go off the rails, and aren't discussed with children present.

Ah, the joys of being the black sheep of the family. :)

Karin said...

I am genuinely surprised that this post got "awarded" so many comments. :-) It's nice to hear from all of you that occasionally stop by my blog.

And Nick...no children present? Now this I've got to hear. I was only aware about your relationship starting because of the internet (before most of us were even on it). :-) Will you be coming soon?

Nick Bennett said...

I was hoping to be up in Utah for Grandpa B's birthday at the end of the month, but I still have very slow-paying clients, so that doesn't look likely. Next trip possibility won't be until my summer teaching is done in late July. So it seems that the usual pattern of visiting family & playing music gigs in August will continue.