Monday, March 10, 2008

and now for the bummer news...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted. Sorry abut that.

Frodo has started scouts and absolutely loves it. He's now had has second pack meeting and just can't wait to show us what he spends all of his time on. He loves being with boys that he met in school and having something that is just his own. He's also found some book series that he is just eating up.

Rapunzel just turned 5! Omi and opi took her to Disneyland with her cousin and they had a blast. Since they have now started the "tradition of Disneyland at 4 or 5" in two years they will be taking three grandchildren...one of which is buggy. They're a little nervous at that prospect and proposed that all of the parents attend with their children. At least they are thinking ahead. :-)

We spent Thursday at Primary's with the some bad (and good news)...we now know why Buggy's lungs are so bad. Unfortunately, it's because she is refluxing into them and aspirating into them. That is very bad. We thought the reflux would go away even if the nissen failed. Apparently not.

We took this news much harder than I thought we would. I realized that it's because of our expectations. We have spent so long trying not to make any expectations for Buggy because nobody ever seemed to know what would happen with her. Now that we are getting ready for school and she is fully into toddlerhood, we allowed ourselves to form some expectations. Maybe even some high hopes.

When I was given the news that the dr was recommending going NPO (absolutely no food by mouth) for at least 6 weeks and maybe even longer, I just wanted to cry. I've been crying for most of the weekend. Of course, we could always go against his recommendations, but I watched the test and know that it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't want to be fatalist about it, but kids who eat like Buggy does, often get pneumonia and sometimes die from that kind of pneumonia. Luckily, we've been able to catch it quickly every time, but every time she gets it, new scarring forms in her lungs.

Her sleep pulmonologist wants us to rethink surgery about her hernia, and we may have to. The problem with that, is one surgery leads to many, many others. Failure rates for surgery like this are very high and very invasive. So much for growing out of the need for drs.

So that's the gist of the last week. We've managed to stay healthy this whole winter, mostly, and I'm planning a trip to Denver in about a month (yes, yes, check the ticker, that means at 35 weeks gestation I will be flying...) We're pretty good, considering.

Have a wonderful "Spring Break"!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about all the bad news. You are all so strong. I have always respected you and your optimism in times of trial. Best of luck with things down the road. I am certain things will work out. Maybe not the way you would like in the time you want, but they will work out. Keeping you in our prayers!God Bless!

Caitlin said...

That is bummer news and I really hope things get better. It's almost spring and we are excited that a lot of those yucky viruses are going to go dormant (although there are plenty more to go around in the summer). How do you not have expectations without feeling like you are giving up hope?

Also- I read the "Mother At The Swings" link that you have posted and on the very day I read it I had almost identical experience! Thanks for reminding me that I am not alone.

Karin said...

Thanks, Cluffs! It feels good to know that your friends are thinking of you even when they are far away. I hope you're enjoying your new locale. I know we sure love being in the work force instead of yucky student housing (although I will always have precious memories of the Villa).

Caitlin, Have you moved to SLC yet? I hope everything is working out for you too. Thank you for the thoughts.

chicagosapps said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you too. We sure miss you. Did you get our letters to the Jedi and Princess? Our kids loved their pictures they sent, and it brought a new round of "When are we going to see them again?" questions. I have the same questions myself! Someday. . .

Loves to little (big, I guess) Buggy! Cyber-loves might be better at this time of year anyway (germ-free). You guys are amazing parents and have fantastic kiddos. I can't wait to hear the birth story of your new one. What is your plan anyway? Will Becky be attending?

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I think crying sometimes help. The hard work and no time for tears will happen soon enough. Rally your friends and gear up. We are praying for you.

Hopefully you can hide that baby well. I was 27 weeks and told them I was 25 just to get on the plane with the gestating Poopy Pirate. Of course, if you go into labor, just say "No big deal: I'm a natural childbirth momma!" That will really calm the masses. :)

Amy Duffy said...

Hey Karin, it's Amy Duffy and I just wanted to say that I am really sorry you got that news. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. But, on another note, I do have to say that you look GREAT!! I watched Doreen's birth slideshow and saw the picture of you two and you look really pretty with longer hair. I also want to tell you that we FINALLY got accepted for SSI and I want to thank you for all your help and support last year while we were neighbors. You were great at explaining all the different programs and suggestions on who to go to for different things.