Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I Hope they Call me On a Mission...

So my sister is getting home tomorrow. I hope she's been life-changed and that she won't forget it soon. I hope my kids don't get bored of Auntie Chicken's Japan stories and I hope she never gets tired of telling them. I'm almost offended when people talking about "getting back to normal" after a mission. I mean, do you really want to after an experience like that? Should you? Why can't you incorporate the new you into life AM (after mission).

For as long as I can remember my dad has been telling stories about the mission; he's told his life story in the context of PM and AM. It used to bug me. not anymore. Maybe I'm jealous that I never got to go. I have to live vicariously through my friends and relatives who have gone. I know that I've made the right decisions for me and they were in the right time, but back when Heater boy and I were dating, he said that he promised himself that he would encourage every person with the opportunity to go to take that chance. He even offered to wait for me. If I hadn't already received my own personal answer, that would have been mighty tempting. As it is, I have a hard time waiting for my season to go on a mission with my husband.

Speaking of seasons...it's time for our season of school to be over. Dh had declared his intent with his advisor and his course of study has officially been changed. As of December, we will no longer be students and my husband will have an MS in biochemistry. We're a little nervous where this road will take us, but we know that Heavenly Father will take care of us...He always does. He has tried for a couple of jobs and is looking for more opportunities to get his resume out there. Right now, he is looking in software and database web applications in companies with a chemistry leaning, but he's also looking for teaching jobs at jr. colleges or anything else that will fit his expertise. He's multi-skilled if you don't already know him and I'm sure he'll find something that is perfect for us.

Buggy is taking small steps from one piece of furniture to another and it's so wonderful to watch. Her sleep study apparently went terribly, but her pulmonologist went out of town for the week, so we won't be able to actually talk to her for a few days. I'm just hoping to make it through the winter without any major pneumonia fights. If there's anything we don't need right now, it's extra time in the hospital. Of course, now that I've said that, we'll be there for several weeks soon.

We've decided that it's time for us to again approach the idea of adopting. We started paperwork just before we got pregnant with Buggy and when we discovered the news, adoption went on the back burner, but it's time to put it back on the front burner. (Sorry, that was worded poorly) We're not sure how it's going to work out, we just know that we need to get started with it.

Hope everyone has a lovely Wednesday!

1 comment:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Thanks for your post! When I met Plantboy, I had all but stopped telling people I'd been on a mission. The looks the boys would give me were not at all flattering. I knew I was in danger of falling in love when Plantboy and I spent half of our first date swapping stories.

Whenever I have to speak in church or give a lesson, my first thought is, what did I learn as a missionary that applies here? I figure, hey, the general authorities have been home for DECADES and they still make reference to those consecrated years. Why can't I do the same?

Plantboy and I have also talked often about adoption. I am sure that my reasons are not entirely unselfish, but I'm always curious about what motivates people in this decision; if you don't mind sharing, that is.